In the spiritual community, the Law of Attraction is a term that is thrown around a lot.
It has become a bit of a way of life in that community.
Some people may think it’s “voodoo” talk, which it is sometimes, but I believe that it can actually be very helpful in keeping a positive attitude and following your dreams.
The basic definition
The belief that by focusing on positive or negative thoughts, people can attract positive or negative experiences into their lives.
It revolves around having faith in the universe and that you universe will bring the things you need/want into your life as long a you are on the same vibrational frequency as them.
If you find yourself on any type of spiritual blog, they will talk about “sending signals to the universe”, and that “what you put out into the universe, the universe will return it you”, and “you must align to the frequencies of what you want”.
This does sound a little bit like “voodoo” to me (but to be honest I also kind of believe in it).
What I really believe is that if you are positive, you will attract positive things into your life.
If you are continuously putting out what you want to “the universe”, you will start to receive those things.
This is not because the universe is aligning with your frequency and such, but because your goals are in the forefront of your mind and you will be more likely to work on those goals (whether it’s conscious or subconscious).
However, I’m not totally dismissing the idea that our energy/frequency could be aligning with that of the things we want. I’m an open minded person, so I think that it is possible.
BUT I think that there’s so much truth to the Law of Attraction because it is ultimately all about our mindset. And our mindset is everything.
Pros of the Law of Attraction
Where do I begin? There are so many!
The obvious pro is that if done properly you will attract all or almost all the things you want into your life, which is friggen amazing!
The other more subtle (but equally amazing) pros of the Law of Attraction is that your outlook on life will be different, you will feel more gratitude for what you have in your life, and you will understand yourself and your desires on a whole new level.
As you learn more about the Law of Attraction and how to harness it, you will learn to use these as tools to help you improve your life.
Then, as you improve your life, these new, blossoming qualities you have will help you to improve your life even further! It is definitely a positive feedback loop when you start to focus on the positives in your life.
Some famous people who use the methods of Attraction
There are so many examples of people successfully using the Law of Attraction to get what they want.
To name a few people you may have heard of…
- Oprah Winfrey
- Jim Carrey
- Will Smith
If you want, you can check out this article from mindbodygreen that I found. (I have no affiliation with this blog, I just like their stuff)
Cons to the Law of Attraction
We all have that one person in our life that always is having bad things happen to them, but is also always complaining?
Well this is an example of someone who is not using the Law of Attraction correctly. They are unintentionally attracting negative things into their lives because they truly believe that their lives are horrible (This can also be a subconscious belief).
This is where I believe things can get bad. Once someone starts believing that everything bad happens to them, they will start noticing all the other bad things in their lives, and then continue to attract more misfortune!
This causes a negative spiral that can be pretty hard to get out of.
This is why it is always really great to practice gratitude and keep thinking positively, it can really just change your perspective, which is sometimes all you need to get out of one of those downward spirals.
How to start implementing the Law of Attraction into your life
- Start journaling. Write about what you want to see in your life and how you want it to be. Don’t be afraid to write it down again and again, because that will only solidify it more in your mind.
- Do some visualization about it. Have a little meditation-style session, where you intentionally daydream about what you want, how it will feel when you get, and then reflect on some ways that you can start achieving those those things.
- Make a dream board. Use some of that creative talent of yours and start cutting out pictures, writing down inspiring quotes, and making something beautiful that will remind you of your dreams.
- Start acting as if you already have everything that you want.
- You can’t expect things to magically just happen. Just because you have written down and are visualizing your goals, doesn’t mean they are going to happen if you are not taking actions towards making them happen
- You can’t be greedy with your goals. These goals can’t be that you want a million dollars, or all the power in the world or stuff like that. They have to be things that you really deeply desire and that would improve your life without taking away things from others. You can look at my other articles about Setting Goals that align with your true self.
- You have to be consistent and make a conscious effort to be positive about your goals and progress towards.
- You have to remember that you are worthy of receiving what you want.
- You also need to be open to some changes and potentially uncomfortable times along the way.
Learning to be open to change
Sometimes things will come to you, but not in the way that you would expect.
Sometimes what you really want can be totally masked by something that you might not like.
You may have to make some changes in your life that can be uncomfortable. The thing is, you have to learn to see the lesson in these changes and go along with them (as long as you can feel that is is right for you).
But as long as you stick through those changes and keep visualizing and making your goals a priority, they will come to you, you just need a positive mindset.
If you want some extra help with reaching your goals, you should check out my Dream Life Goal Planner. It has everything you need to inspire and jump start your process of creating a life that you truly love. It has journal prompts, goal mapping inspiration, and a SMART goals worksheet! You can sign up at the bottom of this page!